Friday, November 4, 2011

Back on the Hilltop!

I'm happy to be back, and I'm trying to hold on to my feelings of appreciation for things here:
     that the water is safe to drink right from the tap
     that the power doesn't go off for several hours a day
     that the Health Center is here, and that I'm rarely in need of it
     that I can eat salad, and fruit without peeling
     that I don't pass hundreds of homeless kids and adults camping on sidewalks every day
     that teachers show up and do their job
     that I don't have to bribe anyone, any time
     that everyone has access to toilets
Of course India has a lot to be proud of, and arguably a great future. But it's undeniable that I live a privileged life, a life that is less stressful than that of the vast majority of Indians . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment